Pages

Friday 23 February 2018

Hands On Fire


Aim:
I want to find out how to safely set my hands on fire.



Method: 

Equipment

  • Safety Glasses
  • Gas Hose
  • Deep Tray
  • Detergent
  • Water                                    
  • Gas
  • Lighter
Instructions

  1. Put on safety glasses
  2. Tye my hair back
  3. If you have long sleeves pull them up
  4. Wet your hands, wrist and arms up to my elbows with water
  5. Connect the gas hose up to the gas tap
  6. Bubble the gas into the soapy water
  7. Scoop under the bubbles and bring your hands above the water
  8. Hold your bubbles up with straight arms and held up at eye height as faraway from your body as possible and lock you elbows 
  9. Take two steps forward
  10. Then light the bubbles with a lighter
  11. To get ride of the bubbles slowly separate your hands and show the palms of your hands.
Results:

Discussion:

 From the moment that the lighter was under my hands filled with bubbles I could feel my hands shaking, then the fire appeared from the lighter onto my hands and as the bright orange ball of fire rose up about five metres high I could feel the heat on my hands and the warmth on my face. I slowly released my hands and let the fire disappear. 

Evaluation: What went wrong? - My hands kept shaking but I felt like I couldn't which made it hard to get rid of the fire. What could I do to fix it next time? I try to calm down more before I get my hands on fire.
What other experiments could I do that are related to this? I could fill a balloon with gas and see what happens if I light it or I could try to light a plastic tray with fire and see how big it gets.

Please comment so I know what I can do better next time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that was a pretty cool experience, I never thought you could something like that.
    You just always need to be careful with fire, it is very unpredictable. This is probably your hands were shaking, because of the unknown :)
    A balloon could actually be a nice idea to experiment, but I would probably do that outside.

    Article nicely done Talia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I think that doing the balloon experiment would definitely be done outside as you said fire is very unpredictable.

      Delete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.